No Vehicle Access
You cannot drive to any of our huts, you must park at a trailhead and hike, bike, ski or snowshoe in from there. This is very important to keep in mind when planning and preparing for your trip as it can take anywhere from 1 to 8 hours to hike/bike/ski/snowshoe to the hut from the trailhead where you choose to park. Please visit Our Huts for information about the nearest trailheads and Driving Directions for getting those trailheads.
Hut Check-in and Check-out Times
You may arrive at the hut as early as you like but we ask that you please check-in no later than 5:00 PM if you plan to join us for dinner. If you are not going to be able to reach the hut by 5:00 PM please contact the hut directly. Hut Check Out is 10:00 AM
Contacting the Huts
For hut phone numbers look under the Contact Numbers tab on this page. If you arrive at the hut early and your room is not yet ready, the hut staff can show you where you may keep your gear until you are assigned to a bunkroom.
Meal Times at Stratton Brook, Poplar, Flagstaff and Grand Falls (full-service guests) are as follows:
- Breakfast — included in your nightly rate, served family style at 7:30 AM
- Lunch — During Summer/Fall lunch is available for purchase at the hut (a la carte) on Saturdays and Sundays from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM. In the Winter lunch is available for purchase on Saturdays and Sundays and holiday weeks from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM.
- Dinner — included in nightly rate, served family style at 6:00 PM
- Trail Lunches — A trail lunch is included for our overnight guests and can be arranged with the hut staff after dinner each night for the following day.
Food Allergies and Dietary Restrictions
We are happy to provide vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, or allergen-free meals as long as this is requested at the time of booking. Allergies and/or dietary restrictions cannot be accommodated after you arrive at a hut, we must know in advance so please be sure to mention any dietary restrictions when you make your reservation. If you or someone in your group did not specify allergy or dietary requirements at the time of booking, please call (207) 265-2400 ASAP to have this added to your reservation.
Beer and wine are available for purchase at all of our Huts.
Please be respectful of other guests and observe quiet hours from 9:30 PM to 6:00 AM.
Smoking is not allowed in or near any structure.
Note: Our trails are not patrolled. All routes to/from and between huts are undertaken at your own risk. All trail users should be knowledgeable and prepared for self-rescue in the event of an emergency.
Weather conditions can vary widely during any season in Maine, see Current Weather conditions. Please check our Trail Report or call us directly at 207-265-2400 if you have any questions about road or trail conditions.
Plan to carry a current trail map and compass on your trip.
Leave No Trace
Please take some time to review our Leave No Trace guidelines before arriving.
What to Bring/Packing List
Click here for Guidelines on Packing.
Gear shuttle services are available for purchase to transport gear between huts and from/to select trailheads during full-service seasons. The cost for gear shuttling is $25 per backpack per route if you reserve them when booking your lodging, additional charges apply if you choose to purchase gear shuttles after arriving at the hut.
- All bags must be BACKPACKS (no duffle bags, suitcases, totes, etc.)
- Maximum backpack weight cannot exceed 25 lbs. Any bags not in compliance will be subject to an oversize bag fee and possibly not transported to the hut(s).
- If you arrive at the trailhead after the specified pick-up time, you must transport your gear into the hut on your own. Baggage left at the trailheads after these times will NOT be brought into the hut. Please visit our Gear Shuttle page for complete information on pick-up and drop-off times and locations, also review the Gear Shuttle Guidelines Blog Post.
Ski and snowshoe rentals available through the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center in Carrabassett Valley.
See our Driving Directions page for Google maps and directions to our office and trailheads.
Our huts are backcountry lodges and have no vehicle access. Depending on the hut you are visiting, you can expect anywhere from 1 to 8 hours of hiking/skiing from the nearest trailhead parking. Please plan accordingly. For maps of the huts and their proximity to the nearest trailhead, please visit the Maps page on our website.
Cell Phone Policy
Since we strive to maintain a backcountry experience for all of our guests, we strongly discourage the use of any electronic devices while visiting our huts. We ask that you please power down your cell phones while at the hut not only to improve the experience for all of our hut guests but also to conserve battery life as you will not be able to charge them during your stay. Thank you for your cooperation.
Pets are not allowed overnight at any of our huts. During the summer season (April 15 to November 30) well-behaved dogs are welcome on our trails.
Reservations can be cancelled by contacting our reservations office at (207) 265-2400 Monday-Friday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM.
There is no charge for changes made to reservations more than 10 days prior to arrival date. Changes made within 10 days of your scheduled arrival may be subject to change fees.
You can make changes to your reservation by contacting our reservations office at (207) 265-2400 Monday-Friday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM.
In case of emergency or to reach any of our locations call
- Kingfield Office — (207) 265-2400
- Stratton Brook Hut — (207) 491-5147
- Poplar Stream Falls Hut — (207) 899-8144
- Flagstaff Lake Hut — (207) 699-8394
- Grand Falls Hut — (207) 491-4012
If you have additional questions, please see our Frequently Asked Questions or call the Kingfield office directly at (207) 265-2400